Grove 221 is a 150,000 square foot, LEED Platinum, best-in-class office building which features enhancing amenities and organic architecture. Located at 221 N. Mathilda Avenue, it is a short walk to Downtown Sunnyvale.
- In 2014, Spear Street Capital acquired a 4.3 acre former nursery site located within Peery Park in Sunnyvale, with the intention to develop an office building.
- Spear Street Capital did not have in-house development staff to execute the project. Orchard Partners, due to its successful relationship with Spear Street on a prior development project, was brought in to manage all aspects of development, including project conception, entitlement, and construction.
- In the early stages of entitlement, the City launched the Peery Park Specific Plan, further complicating the project entitlement and approval.
- The project also contained the challenge of an older residential structure on the site that had historic status and was required to be rehabilitated in accordance with the standards of the Secretary of the Interior.
- Orchard and Spear Street entered into an agreement in which Orchard would be responsible for managing all aspects of development of the project.
- Working with architects and consultants, Orchard and team navigated the Peery Park Specific Plan process and ultimately, Grove 221 became the first project developed under the new specific plan.
- The building design is an innovative side core layout with 50,000 square foot floor plates and an integrated “art wall” as a defining feature, along with a massive outdoor tenant amenity area.
- The new building, parking structure, and house rehabilitation commenced construction in August, 2017 and was completed in December, 2018. The building was leased during construction to 23andMe.